LUTHERAN WOMEN’S MISSIONARY LEAGUE
GOOD SHEPHERD LUTHERAN CHURCH
CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS
October 2006 Revision 3
ARTICLE 1. NAME
The name of this society shall be: The Good Shepherd Lutheran
Women’s Missionary League of Collinsville, Illinois hereafter referred to as
LWML. This society shall be
affiliated with the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League of the Metro-Central Zone
of the Southern Illinois District (District LWML) which is affiliated with the
national organization of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League, an auxiliary of
the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod.
ARTICLE 2. OBJECTIVE
The objective of this LWML shall be:
1. To know and to do the will of our Lord Jesus Christ by
equipping women to use their God-given talents in sharing God’s love:
a. In our own hearts and lives by reading, studying, mutual
encouragement, inspiration, and Christian sociability;
b. In our congregation by setting the example of consecrated
womanhood, visiting the sick, suffering, sorrowing, in winning the
unchurched, encouraging and keeping those won, and in other service projects
for the congregation and the church;
c. In our community by being alert and bringing to light
ways and means in which the church can bring the power of Christianity to
bear upon the community for its advancement and improvement.
2. To follow the
objectives of District LWML which include developing and maintaining a greater
mission consciousness among the women of the church through mission education,
mission inspiration, mission service, and mission grants.
ARTICLE 3. SUPERVISION
Recognizing itself to be a vital part of Good Shepherd Lutheran
Church, and conforming to the Constitution of the church, the LWML places itself
under the supervision of the Church Council and the Pastor of the congregation,
with whom it will cooperate in carrying on the work of the church.
ARTICLE 4. MEMBERSHIP
- As a member of Good Shepherd, a woman has the privilege of becoming a
member of the LWML and is strongly encouraged to do so. If circles exist,
she may choose one in which she will serve.
- Members who have requested and received transfer of church membership by
the Voter’s Assembly shall be removed from the membership roll of the LWML.
- Non-members of Good Shepherd congregation may become associate members
of the society if they have some connection with the church, such as husband
being a member, children in Sunday school, etc., without the privilege of
ARTICLE 5. CIRCLES.
If Circles are formed they shall be under the jurisdiction of
ARTICLE 6. OFFICERS
to be elected in even-numbered
years; Vice-President and Secretary
are to be
elected in odd-numbered
years. No officer shall serve more than two consecutive
terms in the same office.
Only members of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod shall be eligible to
- The officers of the society shall be: President, Vice-President (who
also serves as Membership Chairman), Christian Life Chairman, Secretary, and
Treasurer, all to be elected bi-annually. President, Christian Life Chairman
ARTICLE 1. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
including a meeting of the current and newly elected officers in
Appoint the chairmen of all standing committees with the approval of
Appoint all other committees with the approval of the
ex-officio member of all committees except the
Oversee the publication of
Perform all other duties as prescribed by the
The Vice-President shall:
- The President shall;
- Preside at all regular and special meetings of the society and the
meetings of the
in the absence of that officer and at all times aid the
in furthering the interest of the society.
Perform all other duties which may be assigned to her.
As Membership Chairman, keep an accurate list of all members and
Contact and encourage new church members to become members of Good
The Christian Life Chairman shall:
- Perform the duties of the
Collect equipment and materials
the presenter may need,
prior to the meeting date.
Obtain honorarium from the Treasurer to be given to the presenter
write thank you notes.
Provide sign-up sheets for members at November and December meetings
where they can
indicate when they will be hostesses, prayer leaders, and lead devotions
(opening and Mite Box).
Produce LWML Program Booklets using the above information,
and distribute them to
at the February meeting.
The Secretary shall:
- Contact speakers or presenters and finalize program contents and
The Treasurer shall:
- Keep an accurate record of all meetings including publishing minutes
to the Good Shepherd Website.
- Handle all correspondence.
- Acknowledge all monies received, crediting the same to the fund for
which they are given and deposit them in an approved bank.
- Pay all bills and make such distribution of funds as the society
ARTICLE 2. ELECTION OF OFFICERS
- A Nominating Committee consisting of two members shall be appointed by
the Executive Board at the September meeting. It shall endeavor to prepare a
ballot of two candidates for each office to be presented at the October
- Officers of the LWML shall be elected by ballot for a term of two years
at the November meeting by a majority vote of the members present.
- Newly elected officers shall be officially installed at the December
meeting and assume office at the February meeting.
- The Executive Board shall appoint one of the members of the society to
fill any vacancy that may occur.
ARTICLE 3. DUTIES OF MEMBERS
- Each member shall regularly attend meetings and perform whatever duties
shall be assigned to her.
- Each member will be expected to serve on a current Good Shepherd LWML
standing committee according to
ARTICLE 4. MEETINGS
- The LWML shall meet monthly with the exception of January and July at
which times there will be no formal meeting.
- Special meetings may be called by the Executive Board or the Pastor,
ARTICLE 5. COMMITTEES
chairmen of all the standing committees of the LWML. It
shall meet at the call of the President to discharge such business as may
come before it.
An Auditing Committee shall be appointed by the Executive Board in
November to audit the books of the Treasurer and report at the February
- The Executive Board shall consist of the officers of the LWML. It shall
meet at the call of the Pastor or President, to discharge such business as
may come before it.
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the
ARTICLE 6. DELEGATES
AND YOUNG WOMEN’S REPRESENTATIVES
is entitled to send two delegates to the Metro-Central Zone Rally of the
LWML. They shall be the President or her alternate and one delegate
appointed by the Executive Board.
is entitled to send two delegates to the Biennial Convention of the
District. They shall be the President or her alternate and one delegate
appointed by the Executive Board.
The society is entitled to send one or more Young Women’s
Representatives (YWR’S) to the Biennial District Convention. The YWR’s are
appointed by the Executive Board.
ARTICLE 7. FUNDS
activities such as serving meals or luncheons
for church or civic groups. It can also include bake sales,
etc. for special purposes.
Mites shall be collected monthly and sent to
the District LWML to support District and National
The LWML shall contribute a memorial of $10.00
to Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
in the event of the death of a member or one of her immediate family.
- The LWML shall gather funds by free-will contributions or other
conventions shall be paid out of the general fund.
Authorized expenses and donations shall be paid out of the general
- The expenses of the delegates and the young women’s representative
- Should the LWML disband, all its funds and possessions shall become the
property of Good Shepherd Church, to which it belongs, and under whose
supervision it works.
ARTICLE 8. CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS
Changes to the Articles of the Constitution and By-Laws may be
made at any regular business meeting of the society by two-thirds vote of the
members present, provided the proposed change has been publicized at least one
meeting in advance.